Marching Band Recap

The success story of the St. Charles West marching band, and their journey to a winning season.

The St. Charles West marching band winning a trophy on their last competition.

Katie Powell

When a high school student thinks of a fall season, most high school students would think a specific sport such as football, volleyball, or softball.  However, at St. Charles West, the group of students with the most wins this fall season is actually the St. Charles West Marching Band, otherwise known as the Marching Warriors.  The Marching Warriors have won 14 combined trophies this season at four competitions with their show “Groovitude”.  These trophies include not only the outstanding band, but also the talented color guard for all the competitions.

Out of the 37 members in the band, plus five members of color guard, eight of those members are seniors.  These include members of the flute section, the clarinet section, the percussion section, the brass section and the current drum major.  When asked about the season itself, the seniors were very optimistic and excited about their success this season.  While you read the interviews, please enjoy this gallery highlighting the marching warrior’s season.

“It was very rewarding to see all the hard work we had been doing for months pay off, as well as show the underclassmen how good a small band can be. For me, it was coming full circle, I started here in a very successful band and left with it being the same way.”, says drum major Noah Clark.  Noah has been in the band for four years in the percussion section, however, this is his second year as one of the drum majors at St. Charles West.

“It felt great knowing all our hard work paid off. Practicing twice a week for 3 hours can be a lot with schoolwork and a job, so knowing it was all worth it was an awesome feeling”, says senior Paige Ryherd.  Paige is a four year member of color guard this 2021-2022 school year.  This was Paige’s first marching season where competitions were constant, but ultimately she says the work paid off and she had a great season.

“I know we were struggling for awhile with getting the motivation to actually get where we needed to be , but after the first competition we finally had the drive to place first”, says senior Kailey Dunning.  Kailey played flute for the marching band for St. Charles West and improved her skill set for a phenomenal final season.

“The victories that we achieved for me show what we can really do with a lot of hard work and consistent improvement”, says senior flute player Hannah Kean.  Hannah participated in a tremendous duet with junior Scott Stratton-Henderson during “Groovitude” and it highlighted her abilities this marching band season.

“To me, the victories felt extra special because they meant that I had achieved a new skill that was entirely new to me. It was hard to learn at first, so the victories felt so rewarding”, says junior Claire Mascia.  Claire was a first year member of the Marching Warriors, but was able to adapt quickly and became a strong asset to the band.  The band is excited to see what she brings to the table next season.

“I was able to learn rifle (a maneuver in color guard), which I never thought I would be able to do as well as I can”, says junior Laraya Duncan.  This was Laraya’s second year on color guard and the guard is so excited to see what she does her senior season.

“Personally, I accomplished expanding my knowledge of music and it really helped me gain confidence in my music”, says freshman Audrey Branson.  This was Audrey’s first year on the Marching Warriors, and her abilities continued to blossom into something great, and the band cannot wait to see her in action next year.

Overall, the Marching Warriors managed to have a spectacular season, and St. Charles West can’t wait to see the potential coming in the future, and the new opportunities that lie ahead.  Let’s go band!