Breaking News
  • End of School is closer than it appears! Have you checked your grades?
The Student News Site of St. Charles West High School

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 24, 2024

Post-pandemic entertainment is now at it's all time high. This summer, many artists finally coming to STL and there are tons of music festivals...

Who is that girl?
Who is that girl?
Vivian Frick, Staff writer • April 18, 2024

Adele Jorge is 15 years old and a sophomore here at west. The thing that makes her special? Adele is an exchange student from Basque Country,...

Julia Steele
Julia Steele
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 16, 2024

Julia Steele is president of the Senior Class and STUCO, vice president of Theater, historian for NHS, and is a part of Key Club, FBLA, chamber...

Senior Spotlight

Makenzie Patton
Senior+Spotlight

Makenzie Patton has been a cheerleader and flyer at SCW for all four years she’s been here. This year, she is a captain along with Jordyn Wickham and Skylar Williams. “Cheering has been overall a great experience, I had so much fun and made so many friends along the way,” said Patton. For her, being captain isn’t all about being in charge. “I like being captain this year and being able to help my teammates when they need it.” She’s seen the cheer program through a lot of changes as they learned new stunts and branched out with their cheers.

“As a captain she’s amazing, she’s such a good kind leader and she is the most helpful person,” Kaitlyn Muerer, Makenzie’s teammate and little, said,”she’s so sweet and just an overall good person.” Makenzie has also been involved in Key Club and Renaissance since sophomore year and is Renaissance co-president with Hayden Chrisco. “Renaissance is super fun, we do a lot of social events like Powderpuff and the assembly at the end of the year,” said Patton, “I became president this year because I love what we do and the sponsors, Mrs. Hockmeyer and Mrs. Weil.” 

Outside of school, Makenzie works at GT Gymnastics and teaches tumbling to kids aged 3-10. Throughout the years, she’s been a receptionist at a hair salon, a lifeguard, and a hostess for Mattingly’s. 

Her plans for after graduation are to go to Cosmetology school. “I realized I wanted to learn to cut and color hair when I watched my aunt do that for people,” said Patton. Makenzie has done a lot for our school in her four years and West will definitely not be the same without her contagious smile and support on the sidelines!