Braelynn Night: What is it?

@scwgirlsbball on Twitter

The SCW girls basketball team debuting their new jerseys in honor of Braelynn Night. Top: Abby Govero, Hannah Myers, Harmony Hudson, Elena Scheve, Mia Nicastro, Sophia Prost, Kameryn Arnold. Bottom: Avery Jackson, Lily Jackson, Sequoia Ross.

This past Saturday, both boys and girls’ basketball programs celebrated their annual Braelynn Night at Terry Hollander Court. However, many students don’t know what Braelynn Night is, much less knowing why St. Charles West celebrates it.

Braelynn Night is held annually at a home basketball game and is celebrated in remembrance of three year old Braelynn French, a child who passed away from a rare form of pediatric brain cancer in 2015. Her mother, grandma, and aunts played basketball at St. Charles West in the past, therefore associating Braelynn night with basketball. 100% of the proceeds and finances collected at Braelynn night are sent to St. Jude’s Hospital to fund more research for different cancer programs.

The colors usually associated with the event are yellow, being the remembrance of pediatric cancer, and purple in remembrance of Braelynn’s favorite color.  However, this year, the district purchased new yellow and purple jerseys exclusive to this game, making the event even more memorable.  In addition, junior Kameryn Arnold’s family purchased a jersey for Braelynn’s family to commemorate and honor the life of their beloved daughter, granddaughter, niece, and friend.

Since 2015, not only do both basketball programs participate in the games, but the students are also extremely involved when it comes to attendance and support.

“It is a day that we are able to celebrate a life that was loved by everyone and keeping Braelynn’s memory alive by having a day where we celebrate a very important person.”, says freshman Kennedy Thomas.

On top of this year’s Braelynn Night, seniors (boys) Josh Newell, Giovanni Patton, Darin Gordon, Braden Goellner, (girls) Harmony Hudson, Mia Nicastro, Sophia Prost, Hannah Myers, and Lily Jackson (and girls’ managers Kaitlyn Dinwiddie and Anna Tuley) were all recognized for the basketball’s annual senior night.  Both teams managed to seal a victory against Orchard Farm and the girls clinched their spot as GAC North conference champions.

“It was so cool! As a student, it honestly felt amazing watching the girls varsity win.  It was an important win!!”, says freshman Alyssa Penrose.

The warriors play today, February 18th, against Warrenton at Warrenton High School.