How far will the baseball team go?

Mackenzie McGuire

Senior #5 William Mettlach up to bat against St. Charles High school on April 27th.

With the success of the St. Charles West baseball team during the 2020-2021 school year, one question has remained on students, staff, coaches, and player’s minds: how far will the baseball team go?

Manager Nicholas Mascia with junior baseball players Rolen Moore, Jackson Meers, and Justin Caulk. (Mackenzie McGuire)

During the 2020-2021 school year, the baseball team became GAC North and District 5 champions.  Using their success, they managed to make it past the sectional game and played in the quarterfinals against Blair Oaks, tragically losing 9-0 in the quarterfinal game.  The 2020-2021 team had eight seniors on the team, including Lindenwood commits Ray Rico and Cole Gramling.  On top of that, graduate Cole Gramling and current senior Josh Newell made 2nd Team All-State that same year.

This year, things look a little different.  With four seniors on the 2021-2022 team (including Jacob Blassingame, William Mettlach, Dylan Patterson, and and D1 Lindenwood commit Josh Newell), the team has been putting an outstanding amount of work into this season to build on the last.  A number of gifted freshman have also joined the varsity Warriors this season: Matthew Box, Brady Kilker, and Brenan Goering (with one of the highest batting averages on the team with a .381).

“With the baseball team, we’ve been through some struggles this season with a bunch of rainouts that have messed up our schedule,” says freshman star Brenan Goering, “But it has really helped us with the hitting side of the game with being inside hitting all the time.  The team has been more successful lately knowing what we are all capable of doing in the box and on the field”.

Sophomore Karson Quinn running into home plate after a home run by freshman Brenan Goering. (Mackenzie McGuire)

Currently, the Warriors record is at 9-5, with their winning streak lasting five games currently.  Comparing their record with other teams in the district, the Warriors are set up to be one of the better teams within Class 4 District 6.

With the current seniors, the star freshmen, and the consistency of the team as a whole, junior pitcher-only Jackson Meers says that the team will go “all the way”.  Other players and students also commented on the team’s past success and ideals for the future.

“I think that the baseball team will do good this year! The team seems to have great sportsmanship and a good sense of fundamentals.  Hopefully we make it to at least district champs!”, says freshman Alyssa Penrose.

“If we keep doing what we’re doing, we’ll be in a pretty good position for districts and possibly state,” says Brenan Goering.

In order to come see the Warriors in action, make sure to go to the home game tonight against St. Dominic, where the team will honor seniors William Mettlach, Dylan Patterson, Josh Newell, and Jacob Blassingame.