Breaking News
The Student News Site of St. Charles West High School

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

Julia Steele
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 16, 2024

Julia Steele is president of the Senior Class and STUCO, vice president of Theater, historian for NHS, and is a part of Key Club, FBLA, chamber...

Hayden (right) and Mila (left) Kemp
Hayden and Mila Kemp Senior Spotlight
Ellana Kemp, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

Hayden and Mila Kemp are a set of seniors that happen to be twins here at West.  When asked what it was like to be a twin, Hayden said that...

Connor (left) and Maddy (right) Stockmann
Connor and Madeline Stockmann Senior Spotlight

Madeleine and Connor Stockmann are one set of seniors who happen to be twins here at West.  When asked about what it was like to have a twin,...

Top 5 Barbie Movies

Top 5 Barbie Movies

Barbie (2023) took the world by storm this year with beautiful acting, plots, design, and more. This movie was the winner of 6 golden globes this year and gave birth to being ‘Kenough’. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the animated Barbie movies when I was a kid. This is my personal top 5 favorite Barbie movies. 

1. Barbie: The Princess & the Popstar (2012): A princess and a popstar switch lives and see how the other’s live in what they think is their dream life before eventually overcoming the villain trying to destroy the kingdom. This movie was one of my favorite’s as a kid and even though it’s not now, I still love it. 

1. Barbie: Princess Charm School (2011): This movie circulates around a girl named Blair who was entered by her little sister into a Princess Charm School raffle and she wins and now she’s trying to learn how to be a princess. It’s such a simple yet wonderful plot and you can’t go wrong with this movie.

1. Barbie as Rapunzel (2002): Barbie as Rapunzel follows more of a different route from the story. Rapunzel is being held captive by Mother Gothel but she has a magic paintbrush that makes everything reality and allows her to occasionally escape from the tower where she meets and falls in love with the prince. In my opinion this movie is better than the original story and has a better plot. I highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it.

1. Barbie of Swan Lake (2003): Barbie of Swan Lake is one of the best adaptations of this story by far and has the best outfits. It follows the classic Odette gets turned into a swan by Rothbart with a couple of plot differences but overall it’s really good and sticks to the classic ballet elements. 

1. Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper (2004): There’s two girls who live very different lives and when the princess is kidnapped, the common girl who is identical to her is brought in to cover her while they find the real princes. This is one of the most classic Barbie movies ever and has the best soundtrack of any of the movies and has the iconic character of Preminger. This movie has built up my standards. If you have not seen this, it is a must.