Breaking News
  • End of School is closer than it appears! Have you checked your grades?
The Student News Site of St. Charles West High School

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 24, 2024

Post-pandemic entertainment is now at it's all time high. This summer, many artists finally coming to STL and there are tons of music festivals...

Who is that girl?
Who is that girl?
Vivian Frick, Staff writer • April 18, 2024

Adele Jorge is 15 years old and a sophomore here at west. The thing that makes her special? Adele is an exchange student from Basque Country,...

Julia Steele
Julia Steele
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 16, 2024

Julia Steele is president of the Senior Class and STUCO, vice president of Theater, historian for NHS, and is a part of Key Club, FBLA, chamber...

Who is that girl?

Adele Jorge is 15 years old and a sophomore here at west. The thing that makes her special? Adele is an exchange student from Basque Country, Spain. When asked why she wanted to join the exchange program, she answered “I wanted to get to know American culture and show myself that I can take care of myself without the presence of my family. It is also an opportunity to improve my English.” She says the things she misses the most about Spain is her family, especially on special dates, where she misses her grandmother’s food and her friends.

Adele’s favorite parts of America include all the fast foods and sweets as well as how in high school you learn, but the demands do not make you spend the entire afternoon studying, unlike in Spain. She says the worst part of America is how you need a car to get everywhere, unlike in Spain where you can walk wherever you want. Adele was a part of girl’s basketball and girl’s soccer. She described American sports as having more variety, like wrestling and golf, but also much more important to who a person is.

Adele said she is going to miss all the people she has connected with at West because she has so many special memories with them. Her friend Alison Loftus said “Adele is definitely a fun spirit to be around, but I will miss her so much and she has taught me a lot.”

Adele has also made an impact on her teammates. Victoria Vaughan, JV girls soccer player, states “Adele is a great teammate and player. Her bubbly personality always lifts the team’s spirit.” SC West will not be the same without Adele, and everyone will miss her dearly when she goes back to Spain.

View Comments (1)
Donate to SCW Smoke Signal
$25
$50
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of St. Charles West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. Thank you for your donation!