Breaking News
  • End of School is closer than it appears! Have you checked your grades?
The Student News Site of St. Charles West High School

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 24, 2024

Post-pandemic entertainment is now at it's all time high. This summer, many artists finally coming to STL and there are tons of music festivals...

Who is that girl?
Who is that girl?
Vivian Frick, Staff writer • April 18, 2024

Adele Jorge is 15 years old and a sophomore here at west. The thing that makes her special? Adele is an exchange student from Basque Country,...

Julia Steele
Julia Steele
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 16, 2024

Julia Steele is president of the Senior Class and STUCO, vice president of Theater, historian for NHS, and is a part of Key Club, FBLA, chamber...

Senior Spotlight

Lola Irizarry
Senior+Spotlight

Lola Irizarry was a part of the varsity tennis team for all four years she has been at West. She was a Captain of the team this year along with Emily Skodak. 

This year Lola’s doubles partner was Mariah Diallo. She said, ”Lola was a good leader, supportive to our teammates, and really nice”. 

Her favorite memory of playing tennis was getting second place in districts with the team her senior year. Lola played a huge role in talent and supporting her teammates. “She always had a way of making practices better. My favorite memory of Lola was when I was having a really rough practice and she started bouncing a ball on her racket above my head out of nowhere. “ said Payton Hammack, another one of her friends on the team. 

Lola has also participated in many clubs at West. Throughout her 4 years she has been in Renaissance, Key Club, newspaper, and Breakfast Club and is the president of both Key Club and Breakfast Club. “Being the president of breakfast club is super fun, I love getting together and getting food with my friends”, she said “I also love being the president of Key Club because we get to do lots of fun volunteer work”. 

Outside of school, Lola works at Jake’s on Main. “I really like working on main street because it’s so pretty and a very chill environment”, she said. 

Her plans after high school are to attend Mizzou. She is going to major in architecture. “I wanted to do something that uses my creativity”, she said. 

You may have seen Lola somewhere near SCW’s student section, consistently supporting other students. SCWest will miss her support!

View Comments (2)
Donate to SCW Smoke Signal
$25
$50
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of St. Charles West High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. Thank you for your donation!