Breaking News
  • End of School is closer than it appears! Have you checked your grades?
The Student News Site of St. Charles West High School

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 24, 2024

Post-pandemic entertainment is now at it's all time high. This summer, many artists finally coming to STL and there are tons of music festivals...

Who is that girl?
Who is that girl?
Vivian Frick, Staff writer • April 18, 2024

Adele Jorge is 15 years old and a sophomore here at west. The thing that makes her special? Adele is an exchange student from Basque Country,...

Julia Steele
Julia Steele
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 16, 2024

Julia Steele is president of the Senior Class and STUCO, vice president of Theater, historian for NHS, and is a part of Key Club, FBLA, chamber...

Senior Spotlight

Senior+Spotlight

Kamani Carter has been a student at St. Charles West since her freshman year. She is known for her contagious smile and her ability to light up any room she is in. Her infectious personality can make anyone smile.

“She is such a sweet girl who always has a smile. That girl can make the whole team smile just by being there. She is so funny and we all love her so much” says Charlotte Saffa, freshman, when asked about her time with Kamani on the cheer team.

Kamani tried out to cheer her senior year. Her favorite memory from her time on the cheer team was at the end of cheer camp when everyone was getting emotional and telling everyone how amazing they are and what they are good at.

Her advice for people thinking of trying out is to make the little things count as the time you get flies by. Her teammate Olivia Cusumano truly appreciates what Kamani has done to help her. “She is very nice and funny. Even when the team gets stressed, she stays calm and keeps people calm. She can always bring the mood up. She has helped me grow as a cheerleader by her being so cooperative and because of that I’ve learned more and tried new things I was scared to do.”  

After high school, Kamani plans on going to college, though she isn’t sure where she wants to go to yet. Her plan is to major in performing arts. Her ultimate goal is to be an actor in movies someday, so don’t be surprised when in ten years you see Kamani Carter on the silver screen or in the nominations for the Oscars.

Kamani has made a big impact here at SC West with her positive attitude and overall kindness towards others. She will be missed and the school won’t be the same without her.