Breaking News
  • End of School is closer than it appears! Have you checked your grades?
The Student News Site of St. Charles West High School

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

SCW Smoke Signal

Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Coming Soon to a City Near You...
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 24, 2024

Post-pandemic entertainment is now at it's all time high. This summer, many artists finally coming to STL and there are tons of music festivals...

Who is that girl?
Who is that girl?
Vivian Frick, Staff writer • April 18, 2024

Adele Jorge is 15 years old and a sophomore here at west. The thing that makes her special? Adele is an exchange student from Basque Country,...

Julia Steele
Julia Steele
Audrey Branson, Lead Photographer • April 16, 2024

Julia Steele is president of the Senior Class and STUCO, vice president of Theater, historian for NHS, and is a part of Key Club, FBLA, chamber...

Lady Warrior Basketball

The St. Charles West girl’s basketball team has had a great season so far, picking up wins against Winfield, Francis Howell North, Duschene, and more. The season started out slower than anticipated, but now the girls have the momentum to move forward and get the season in check.

Their last game was against the Winfield squad, and took home the win with the score of 47-33. Setting the pace early into the first half has been one of West’s big advantages this season. They come out firing looking for a good game.
Star player Alex Nicastro has had an incredible season so far as she sets herself up to hit her 1000th point during her junior year. This accomplishment is not finished by most by the time they graduate, to do it by junior year is almost unheard of. Nicastro being only a sophomore sets West basketball up to do great things for the upcoming years.

Other key players to the team like Reagan Govero and Miley Jackson are also only sophomores. R. Govero is a likely starter to the games, while M. Jackson comes in off the bench to help her team out in big games.

Abby Govero, sister to Reagan Govero, has also been an asset to the West team. Being a senior, her last year has been filled with excitement and big time plays. That is not the only sister duo on the West team, as sisters Miley Jackson and Avery Jackson have accomplished the same feat.

A. Jackson is a senior this year as well, she wears the #10 and has been a huge part of the success the west team is having this year. She is able to defend with an aggressiveness unlike any other, and has the power to be a shooter when she is able to.

Amazingly, there is still one more sister duo that has not been talked about. Freshman Zoey Hollander, and sophomore Eden Hollander, join their coach/grandpa on the court, Terry Hollander. Z. Hollander is a starter for the team, and puts up big numbers as only a freshman. E. Hollander is a big player in big moments, as she shoots well and is able to take over the game in big moments.

The bench is deep with this team, consisting of lots of younger players expected to take over in the upcoming years. Seniors Sequoia Ross, Abby Govero, Lauren Swan, and Avery Jackson have left behind a great legacy for the players who will follow. The upcoming years for West basketball will keep the same excitement, grit, determination, and energy as these seniors have left behind. Congratulations to the whole girls basketball team on an amazing season so far, and all of St. Charles West is excited to see what you can do to end it. Good luck Lady Warriors!